Dear Ms Nixie,

I’ve come back to tell you I could fly. I’ve also come back to tell you that I made it my business to study crawling too. I suppose there was something about both I wanted to capture and well, I couldn’t quite make up my mind which of the two felt more free and which way I would rather be, on the ground, steady steady, hobbling forwards, or soaring through the air in full glide. It’s come to pass from where I am, on the space time continuum, that you have been a Time Tourist from the early years and that you have found, true as gold, a window to the fourth dimension via some sort of four dimensional geometric equation and a time travelling device. I wanted to welcome you back to anywhere between 1904 and 2000, my life. You’re always welcome and perhaps you could bring back to the here and now a little of my legacy, for the ocean, for women in science, for those who seek freedom.

Yours Truly,

Ila Loetscher

Dearest Ila,

My goodness, from the deepest and richest depths of my nerdely turtely soul I am most humbly grateful to make your acquaintance. Why I have been a fan of yours for some years and the chance to meet you, the great “Turtle Lady”, would be a sheer delight and wonderful honour. I owe much to women such as yourself who paved the road forward for all of womankind and men too and us in general, that equality might be more fully reached for all to enjoy. I could always relate to your life as it happens. I found you in a library. You were on the inside of a hard casing when I saw you, in a book, as soft and as strong as life itself. Hiding in one’s shell is the plight of the shy, stricken introvert but it’s ones like this that plod along all the same. And then I found not only had you worked tireless hours to save the endangered Kemp’s Ridley turtle and later setting up a Not for Profit corp for preserving sea turtles, that you were also an aviator, the first native Iowa pilot. I must say I was more than impressed. It’s obviously sheer serendipity that you should contact me just when I needed you the most. I suppose what you taught me, was that there are many ways to fly. Even a turtle can fly, well not just the teenage ninja variety either. Like all of us, the Turtle just needs the right environment, the right conditions, the right supporters, to get her glide on, in the water, free and beautiful and in between she/he/ they stop and start and hide and move forward step by step. I suppose what I mean to say is, flying or not flying, your island Ila built a community of connectivity and one of the small steps that became a more giant leap later on. Sure, there’s the un- doers out there who forget, but I remembered you and you found me and perhaps someone else will take the next step forwards reading these words.

Yours Truly,

Nixie Nicla.


Dear Ms Nixie,

Why thank you darling for your words. BTW might the world have a little squiz at your time travelling device, there’s not been all that much action since Mr Micky Fox and the Flux Capacitor

Yours Truly,

Ila xx

Dear Ila,

Oh it’s not all that hard. I simply close my eyes, feel deeply, open them and I’m there, the past, the present the future. The heart is the time machine you see. That’s what a heart is Ila. Let me just say that even when brawn has gone, gratitude and tenderness can mostly live on in the hearts of us all. For the most part this is true and so I thank you.

Nixie xx.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roses Ice and Chariots of Fire

Fabio's Dream