What's in a Name?

Dear Ms Nixie,

I was wondering what your legitimate opinion might be on the relationship between names and behaviour, identity and one’s outcomes in life? You see I wish to retain, and proudly so, both of my names, however it seems to be causing a wee spot of bother. Should I stand firm and live proud in what was bequeathed to me or is there a place for bowing down in the face of ridicule?

Yours truly,

Anon.

Dear Anon,

Stand proud. Live up to your name my dear. Sometimes we try and run away from the seed of our history rather than letting such origins propel us forward to the path less travelled.
May I ask, if it would not be too forward of me, what your full title is then? It shall surely hold no baring whatsoever on the proceeding plans, however, for interests sake alone, I would be most honoured to know of you and that name which offers a real badge of honour, no matter how different or offbeat it may be to the wider mediocre masses. Not everyone can be a Smith or a Jones my darling. Shoot away, no need to be shy.

Yours Truly

Ms Nixie Nicla

Dear Ms Nixie,

My full name is Maud. Lyn. Dresser. My mother (Nora Bone) wanted me to have my father’s name. My Uncle by marriage (Stan Still) seems rather stuck in one place on whether or not I should take her maiden name Bone in the interests of quietening the storm of jocularity around the place and in the halls of Eaton college. My best friend by chance goes to Eaton too and his name is Eaton. Eaton Cox is his name. The world has a funny way of landing people in a dilemma alright. He’s a lovely chap, Eaton that is. His mother’s sur name was shufflebottom, so you can see it was a difficult choice. I suppose we became kindred spirits because of it all, being marginilized in life, due to a label. I’ve sought professional assistance along the way. My psychologist Jed. I. Knight was strangely a real trouper and we became very close because of his specialization in name and behaviour.  I was even best man at his friends wedding Mr Hardy to Ms Harr. They did decide to hyphenate, despite everything because we have all come together united in our difference and defiance. Anyway, let me know what you think?

Yours truly,

Ms Maud. Lyn. Dresser.


Dear Maud,

Buck the system. Nominative determinism must not win. Yes, it’s surely true that gender dynamics, socio-economic status and unusual spelling can actually play a role in determining the behaviour of a child and subsequently the demeanour and general outcomes of an adult. This does not mean that you shouldn’t stand up in a rainbow of color and shout “I am Maud. Lyn. Dresser and I am a rainbow of living color.” You are exquisite my dear. You are the full spectrum of a dazzling wardrobe. You are you and you are Maud and Maud will dress herself in whatever she so chooses.
I had a lover once with the same dilemma. Oh he was a sea captain you know. His name was Captain Spankalot but do you know what? He was ever so gentle. I’m telling you this in reassurance. It didn’t determine anything at all for him darling. It was a passing romance and he wed Madame. L. Ash Some years after our brief encounter.
Anyway All the best of love and luck to you,

Yours Truly

Ms Nixie Nicla xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roses Ice and Chariots of Fire

Fabio's Dream